Sunday 4 January 2009

back for 2009 from freezing east anglia

Happy New Year! We hope everyone had a great holiday - sorry we've been a little quiet but Jim's been on holiday & the rest of us have been playing temporary farmhands.

My respect for my brother has quadrupled - in the last week I've discovered muscles that have been dormant since I began my deskjob over 7 years ago. Apart from the twice-daily routine of feeding and watering cattle, pigs and sheep I've cleared out his toolshed, chopped and collected firewood, dug the front garden (well a little bit of it), pruned the fig tree, cleaned the wood panelling, moved sheep between fields, held a new year's eve murder mystery party and fed 16 hungry walkers on new year's day. Proud of myself? Just a bit.

Feeling exhausted but very pleased with my new ruddiness, I took the dogs and my camera out for a quick walk yesterday morning, before the morning feed. It was a beautiful frosty morning and the cows were already up and mooing for their breakfast.



However I was soon to discover that Nature had a little going away present for me - the frosty morning also heralded frozen watertanks, hoses and taps...



So ensued the postponing of any other plans for what was a glorious winter Saturday. After breaking the ice, we spent the best part of the day boiling water in the kitchen kettles to defrost the hoses then filling big plastic bins with water to cart around the farm and ensure everyone had enough water. Further respect to my little bro, who deals with what the great outdoors throws at him every day.

Juliet D-H

Digg! submit to reddit

No comments: